Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, July 22, 2005

I was in an elevator in an office building this morning, and two people were having a conversation.

Man: That's a big bag. Did they search it on the subway?

Woman: God help them if they try and search this.

I think she just meant that there was so much crap in her bag that it would be a pain for someone to search it, but it seemed like a bizarre thing to say. Who are these people who are really upset about the police wanting to search people's bags on the way into the subway? Why would anyone be upset about this? I want people's bags to be searched. I'm fine with metal detectors, and plainclothes cops, and whatever else they feel like they need to do to make the subway (and the rest of the city) as safe as it can be. What's the big deal?