Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Roberts in the news. Oh wait, that's Padres outfielder Dave Roberts. There's some other Roberts in the news too, but Dave is more important.

Roberts needed only one pinch-running appearance to achieve everlasting fame in Boston. He also needed only three months with the Red Sox to realize how much he would rather start for a team in Southern California than come off the bench for a team in the Northeast. Roberts was able to broker a trade to San Diego partly because he was familiar with both general managers and knew what both organizations needed, but mainly because he understood the significance of that one pinch-running appearance.

"For a lot of last year, I felt like I was sort of being phased out," Roberts said last night, before the Padres played the Mets at Shea Stadium. "Having that experience in the playoffs gave me a lot of exposure. It definitely elevated my stock."

Uh, I mean:

"Roberts needed only one pinch-running appearance to earn the attention of President Bush and a nomination to the Supreme Court. He also needed only three months with the circuit court to realize how much he would rather start for the team in Washington than come off the bench -- er... no, that works... the bench, yeah -- for a court in the Northeast."

Or something like that.