Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, July 25, 2005

The South Dakota Bar

One reader writes:

Since I've actually considered taking the SoDak bar exam, I thought you might want to know that there are a couple advantages to being able to practice law in the Mount Rushmore State:

The vast majority of SD lawyers went to the University of South Dakota. USD's in Vermillion, a town notable for housing many of its students in trailer parks adjacent to the campus. I've been informed by lawyers in my hometown that bar association meetings are basically USD reunions. People who live in trailer parks know how to party.

You get to hang out in Pierre (pronounced "peer," not the French way). A town who's most interesting asset, as far as I can remember from school trips, is the smattering of funky-colored tiles on the floors of the capitol. There are only a small number of them in the building and they're hard to find. It's like a scavenger hunt and it's fun. Really.

Small town lawyers are fun and quirky (and famous . . . within the small town). My favorite lawyer used sends all the high school debaters cards and stuff when they qualify for the national tournament. Ever seen the tv show Ed? You can totally be Ed in SoDak.