Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, July 18, 2005

The worst acronym I've come across from Bar/Bri so far -- and a couple of readers e-mailed me this yesterday, before I read my Wills outline today:

TS LEGUP LOGPIT.

The list of Testamentary Substitutes:

T otten Trusts
S urvivorship Estates
L ifetime transfers
E mployee Benefits
G ifts
U S Government bonds
P owers of appointment

Not testamentary substitutes (LOGPIT):

L ife Insurance proceeds
half "O"f qualified pension benefits.
G ifts within $11,000 annual exclusions
P re-marriage irrevocable transfers
I rrevocable transfers made more than 1 year before death
T ransfers with retained life estate made before September 1, 1992

You know what, Bar/Bri? That's cheating. The "O" can't stand for "of." I'm sorry. You lose. You and your acronyms can go to hell. That's HELL:
H urled out the window
E rased from my memory
L eft for the garbage man, to end up in a
L andfill somewhere

How about some acronyms someone can actually remember? Want to know what lawyer ads can include? Remember YOU TOUCH KIDS:

Y our clients
O ffices you hold
U sual areas of practice

T eaching positions held
O rganizational memberships
U ndergraduate degree
C redit arrangements
H ourly rates

K nowledge of foreign languages
I nvolvement in group or prepaid legal services programs
D ate of admission to the bar
S et rates for specific services

Or how about the methods of delivering service of process? Just remember GONORRHEA:

G ive it directly to them
O rder of court
N ail to dwelling place and mail a copy
O fficer of corporation
R egular mail to place of business
R egular mail to last known residence plus affixed to door
H and to a corporate director
E x parte motion for alternative method
A gent designated to receive process

You happy now, Bar/Bri? (The sad thing is that I'm actually going to remember these things now that I've worked out acronyms for them.)