Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I saw "March of the Penguins" today. Reviews have been amazing. Normally it's not the kind of thing I'd necessarily be drawn to, but the reviews were so good that I wanted to see it. And it was neat. It's amazing what close access to the penguins the filmmakers were able to get. And it's amazing how person-like the penguins were acting. Although I imagine to some extent it's a lot like reality TV, where if you get enough footage, you can find enough human-like activity that will resonate with the audience that if you put it all together you can end up with an image of penguins being a lot closer to humans than they really are.

Some lies about the movie:

*I heard one of the penguins was nominated for a People's Choice Award.

*One of the penguins is starring with Jose Canseco, Justin Guarini, Rachel Hunter, and Pee-Wee Herman in the next season of The Surreal Life.

*They're turning the movie into a sitcom on the WB next season.

*One of the penguins only agreed to be filmed because he's an aspiring musician and thought it would be good exposure for his career.