Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

One thing I forgot in my trip posts. I think I passed former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey in the Dublin airport. He's the President of the New School in NYC now, but I'm reasonably certain he was in the Dublin airport. I mean, it's sort of bizarre and sad that I think I could recognize Bob Kerrey, but I think it was him. And when I looked his way, the look he gave back seemed like the kind of look people give when they expect there might be people who recognize them, as opposed to the sort of look that's wondering why someone is looking at you. If that makes any sense. Anyway, my possible brush with marginal fame.

I read a book today, "License to Deal" by Jerry Crasnick. It's basically the story of Matt Sosnick and Paul Cobbe, partners in a small agency that represents baseball players like Dontrelle Willis of the Marlins. Really good book. It talks about how it's hard to break in, and get players to choose you and then stick with you instead of defecting to the bigger guys once they start making money, and what a long road it is to travel for guys like Sosnick and Cobbe. Crasnick's day job is as an ESPN.com columnist. He does a good job in the book of painting interesting character sketches. I felt like I got to know Sosnick and Cobbe and Willis pretty well, positives and negatives, and really, once I got started, I couldn't put the book down. Good stuff if you're a baseball fan at all.