Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I've lost track of who's responding to who, but here's a response to the response to the response of those e-mails I've been posting.

Anyone has the right to say they are unhappy and I am sympathetic to people when they are unhappy. With that being said, people choose their own destiny to a certain degree and sometimes their complaints are not valid. An individual who decides to work in a mega law firm knows they are in for long hours and many difficult, uncomfortable encounters. They know this before they sign on the dotted line. The trade off (and maybe its not an equal one) is that they do make a ridiculously large amount of money. How sad am I supposed to feel for these people? They are not chained to their office chair. They are free to move on to another job if they want (which, may I add, you did). This isn't the former U.S.S.R. Its a free market, man. I'm sorry your experience in a big firm was so painful, I really am. But I'm also happy to hear that you spoke with your feet (by leaving).

I'm sorry but I just get sick of hearing people complaining about their jobs and a complete inability to own up to the decisions they made. Take my Aunt, for instance. She is an English school teacher in Queens. She works from 9 a.m to 3 p.m and maybe after school she spends an hour or two preparing for class the next day. She also has over 3 months off a year (counting: July, August and numerous vacation days). If I got a dollar every time my Aunt complained about her income; I'd have more money than Donald Trump (although not more women :). Never mind the fact that she is making 75k a year and that when she retires (from working nine months a year) she will get a pension for about 60k a year for the rest of her life.

If there is one thing I want you to get out of this response, is that just as you made the decision to join a big law firm; she made the decision to become a school teacher. She knew what kind of income she would be receiving by entering into this possession and still choose it. And people who decide to work for a big firm make the same decision. I feel bad for anybody who has undergone a serious trauma. But when somebody is currently collecting major pay checks and still whining about the workload/dealing with mean people; that I have a little trouble with.

I'm a little cranky as my Jets are in shambles.