Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Sua Sponte has a whole month of posts tying up her law school experience and it's all worth reading.

Ernie the Attorney is blogging from the disaster in New Orleans and that's all worth reading. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of an entire city being evacuated and under water, especially when things go on normally elsewhere. I'm glad Ernie got out and is safe. I hope they're able to stabilize and rebuild and get things back to something approaching normal in the weeks and months ahead.

I've found myself on an e-mail list about Tulane law school and the aftermath of Katrina. There's a temporary Tulane web site here. The message from the Dean there sort of makes one realize that this is really something life-altering for the people down there.

While I'm linking to things: I have a friend who has set up a website about her search for a job in Liberia, and she asked me if I'd link, so here that is: Shel in Liberia.

And, finally, I was really fortunate to get the chance to write an op-ed piece that ran in yesterday's New York Times. It's about blogging and the workplace. The meat of the article is this:

It used to be that if you wanted to know what it was like to work for a law firm or a beauty magazine, you had to have a friend on the inside. But now that everyone can publish online, we can get these incredible glimpses into worlds we might otherwise never get to see. People across the world can share stories, commiserate and connect with each other. Potential employees can see beyond the marketing pitches.

If no one was reading, employers wouldn't be concerned. There's a demand for the first-person narratives people are writing about their jobs. There's nowhere else to go to create honest conversation about the working world.

Check it out if you like.