Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, October 28, 2005

I saw the movie "Prime" this evening, the one with Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman, where Streep plays a therapist and Uma Thurman is her patient, and dating her son. That's all given away in the television commercials, so I'm not really spoiling it for anyone. If you've seen the commercials, you know what the movie's about, and there won't be any surprises. The movie's awfully contrived. Characters are always finding themselves in the same place as other characters, just to move the plot along. People say irrational things like, "No, I refuse to meet her," just to keep the ball hidden a little longer. You can see what's coming a mile away. That said, I really enjoyed it. Despite the predictable arc, it's well-crafted. It's not sloppy at all. There are more laughs than I expected. It's a nicely done script. It's well-acted. It's a pretty film. It's not groundbreaking, but it's entertaining. So I give it a thumbs-up. Also, the guy behind me, despite talking throughout the movie, was actually a positive addition to the moviegoing experience. Even though he couldn't be quiet, he kind of made the movie more fun.