Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

I saw a neat movie today called Little Manhattan, about an 11-year-old boy in New York whose parents are getting divorced and he falls in love with a girl in his karate class and they have a 2-week "romance" that ends with his first kiss, and, in a contrived ending that thankfully doesn't take away from the coolness of the rest of the film, inspires his parents to get back together. It's better than that description makes it sound.

That link is to The Cranky Critic's review, where he calls it the best movie of the year. I'm not sure I'd quite go that far, but it's a really satisfying 90 minutes, very cute, but done well.

And it's probably the most well-filmed "New York" movie I've ever seen -- that is, it makes New York look terrific, and like a super place to live and it makes Central Park look amazing and, just -- it's a very light, happy, feel-good kind of movie, and makes me happy to live here. That may be because it limits its focus mostly to the upper West side, where rich people live and no one litters and it never rains. But I liked it. Worth seeing.