Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, December 19, 2005

I woke up and my Internet wasn't working. Had an IP address but not connecting. So I spent a half hour on the phone with Roadrunner, my cable provider. They went through a bunch of stuff and determined it's my Norton Internet Security, and as soon as I disabled that, it worked fine. They told me to call Norton. Norton's phone message told me to do Internet Live Technical Support Chat for better service. So I just spent a half hour chatting with Kiran, who fixed my problem. Because not posting this would mean I wasted the past half hour, here is the transcript of my Internet chat with Kiran. I meant to ask him where on the globe he was chatting from before we signed off, but I forgot. I am guessing not his first language was English, although he did pretty good and got my Norton working again. Perhaps it will be of some use to someone who's having a Norton problem similar to mine.

Kiran: Hi, thank you for contacting Symantec Live Technical Support. My name is Kiran. How may I help you?
Jeremy: My Internet wasn't connecting late last night or this morning. I was on the phone for a half hour with Roadrunner, my cable company, and nothing was working until she had me disable Norton, and now it works fine. She said to contact Norton because it must be a problem with that.
Kiran: Hello Jeremy.
Kiran: I gather that you are unable to connect to Internet with Norton Internet Security (NIS) enabled, am I correct?
Jeremy: Yes
Jeremy: I was getting an IP address but the connection wasn't connecting
Kiran: When did this issue started to occur?
Jeremy: Last night at about 11PM
Kiran: When did you install the product?
Jeremy: about 3 weeks ago
Jeremy: it was working fine until last night
Kiran: Okay.
Kiran: This issue can occur if the firewall is not configured properly.
Kiran: Shall we check the firewall settings?
Jeremy: okay. how do i do that?
Kiran: Open NIS now.
Jeremy: ok
Jeremy: NIS is open
Kiran: Double click on Personal firewall.
Jeremy: i don't see that icon
Jeremy: oh, now i see it
Jeremy: click on configure?
Kiran: Yes.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Click on the Programs tab.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Do you see a list of programs there?
Jeremy: yes
Kiran: Is any of them configured to block there?
Jeremy: no. most of them say automatic. a few say permit all.
Kiran: How many programs are listed there?
Jeremy: about 30
Jeremy: I just counted. 24.
Kiran: Okay. Are you chatting from the same system?
Jeremy: Yes
Kiran: In that case, you need to restore the default firewall rules and check.
Kiran: Shall we proceed?

Jeremy: I guess. What do I click on?
Kiran: Open the link below:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2005083015103436?Open&src=con
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Did you open it?
Jeremy: yes
Kiran: Download the ISRIRstr.exe file from there.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Did you download it?
Jeremy: it won't let me save it where the page says to save it. it says i don't have permission
Kiran: Save it to Desktop.
Jeremy: ok
Jeremy: ok. it's downloaded
Kiran: Now, in NIS , click Options > Norton Internet Security.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: On the General Tab, under Protect my product, uncheck Turn on protection for my Symantec product.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Click on Ok.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Close Norton Internet Security.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Now, copy that file from Desktop and paste it in the Norton Internet Security folder.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Did you do paste it in Norton Internet Security folder?
Jeremy: yes
Kiran: Now, double click on that file.
Jeremy: ok
Jeremy: i ran the program
Kiran: Okay. Now close all windows except this chat window.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Open NIS now.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Double click on Personal firewall.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Click on Programs tab.
Jeremy: no programs appear in the list anymore
Kiran: Okay. Click on Program scan button.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Just run the scan and let me know when the scan detects all the programs.
Jeremy: it's done. it found 194 programs.
Kiran: Click on Check all and click on Next.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Click on Finish.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Now, enable firewall and try to access links.
Jeremy: what do i click on?
Kiran: Go to the main window of NIS.
Jeremy: ok
Jeremy: turn on internet security?
Kiran: Yes.
Jeremy: ok
Jeremy: it is on
Kiran: Did you do that?
Jeremy: yes
Kiran: Now, open Internet explorer and try to open www.google.com.
Jeremy: the internet is working
Kiran: Thats great!
Jeremy: ok, great
Kiran: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Jeremy: nope
Jeremy: thanks
Kiran: Jeremy, before we end the session, I wish to inform that you will be receiving a customer survey form in the next 2-3 days through email, where you can rate my performance on this session. Please spend two minutes of your valuable time to fill out this form. This will help me in improving my performance and gear-up my customer support skills.
Jeremy: ok
Kiran: Thank you for contacting Symantec Live Technical Support. It was a pleasure assisting you.
Jeremy: thanks.
Kiran: You are welcome.
Kiran: Bye.